Saturday, May 26, 2007

Memories: Audrey Melville (Jones)

"... I was taken back many years when I read Ngaire Anderson (Vossler's) Memories with the mention of all the teachers' names. I remember Ngaire very well and the only teacher whose name I cannot recall - he was very short just the opposite to Lofty Morrison. He taught me in Standard Six - only five girls and over thirty boys - huge class for a little man. In the back of my mind the name Mr. Bone keeps appearing but whoever it was he knew how to use the strap - I know because I only ever got the strap twice and both for talking when he answered the door. Excellent teacher as all were really. Mrs Anderson taught me in Standard One - a very stern teacher but very fair. While with her we had quite a big earthquake and we were told to run out past the school building through the area where the swing was and down to the bottom of the grass area. This little girl unfortunately fell over and put her knees through her new black woollen stockings - not a very good reception when I got home.
My school days started in July 1926, our family lived at 82 Ariel Street then moved to Wellington in 1943. We were a family of four - I am the eldest, my sister Peggy who lived in the United States for just on sixty years and passed away two years ago. Rex now lives in Nelson and the youngest Monty now lives in the Brisbane area. My father (Percy Jones) was a Tailor in the town and my working days started in the Office of Manoys (4 years) and then I moved to G.A. Carter's Accountants Office (four years) before the family moved to Wellington, where we lived in Karori. I now live in Wellington.
Congratulations and best wishes for a wonderful weekend, will be thinking of you all, hope the weather is kind and Mt Taranaki stands out proud. I would love to hear from anyone who is interested and also any info available.
Sincerely Audrey Melville (nee) Jones"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home