Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Extract from Centennial Book, 1882-1982.

Ex-SPS teacher Gordon Innes (1946-1952) revealed an embarrassing moment for him as he was taking an afterschool rugby practice.

“One of the backs made what I considered an error of judgment and I called out in a loud voice “You chump……you’ll never make an All Back!” Imagine my surprise when on turning around I found the Headmaster, Mr T.B. Jackson, standing right behind me.

My second wave of embarrassment occurred a few years later when ……….did in fact become an All Black and acquitted himself with distinction. I hope John McCullough has forgiven my error of judgement.”

John McCullough represented Stratford High School in the 1st XV for three years, and as Captain in 1953. He played rugby for the Stratford club. During his Taranaki career he was in the victorious team which brought home the Ranfurly Shield in 1956. John was an All Black in 1959.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home